Saturday, December 31, 2011

God's Word and Prayer

At the end of this year, my mind goes to the transformation that has happened in my own life in the course of one year. The list would be long indeed! Big statement here. Though mostly inside, God has changed me more this year than any other year since the life-changing transformation that happened while I was at Pine Cove as a boat driver in the summer of 1998.

As I look back on the year, what I see is God's word and prayer. Even though confusion, frustration, questioning, struggle, pain, and discernment could make their case to be what characterizes this year for me, I notice the sometimes subtle presence of God's word and prayer.

The nature of my job (to teach Bible classes) kept me going back to God's word. In my preparations God surprised me regularly with small things. As I reflect on this, it seems like God purified me little by little through it all with his word.
"Is not my word like fire, says the Lord..." Jeremiah 23:29a

Prayer was there too because of the nature of my job. At times I forced myself to ask others what I could pray for because I knew prayer changes things. It did. Even those small prayers said out of obligation, those prayers I'm supposed to pray because I'm the campus minister. Even more, I see those prayers said through silence, reflection, and tears from this year. Flash prayers like, "What is going on, Lord?" or "Give me patience, God!" opened up vistas of divine revelation.
"And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people." Ephesians 6:18
God's word and prayer. Commit to these in 2012 and reflect on what happened in your life at this time next year!

Go in peace! Serve the Lord!

No comments: