Friday, December 16, 2011

The Chief Mountain

"In days to come the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established as the highest of the mountains, and shall be raised above the hills; all the nations shall stream to it." Isaiah 2:2

Tanya and I had the privilege of climbing to the summit of Mt. Fuji (12,389 feet) when we went to Okitsu, Japan on a Let's Start Talking project in 2001. It was amazing! I'd never seen the world from that height before or since. As we rested after our incredibly intense, four-hour climb, we enjoyed the spectacular, awe-inspiring view of Japan. There were no other mountains even close to the height of Japan's tallest mountain! Nothing blocked our marvelous view.

As I read Isaiah 2:2 at the beginning of this Christmas break, I wonder what other "mountains" in my life may be blocking my view of God's world as it is meant to be viewed. This break is a good time for me to consider some of my high, established mountains. Perhaps the mountain of fear towers over all else for me. Maybe it's school or family or future. I bet the mountain called "being in a relationship" tempts some of us with the promise of an amazing view.

I wonder if this Christmas break will be for you the picture of the "days to come" that Isaiah paints. Will Christmas break be the time when the mountain of the Lord's house is established as the highest of the mountains in your life? Will you raise during this Christmas break this mountain above the hills, rightly identified as hills instead of competing mountains?

No comments: