Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Do Nothing

I started, but never finished Dallas Willard's book, The Divine Conspiracy: Rediscovering Our Hidden Life in God. I have been reading bits and pieces as I prepare for our Wednesday night classes, Going Deep in a Shallow World (available on iTunes). Since finishing Phoebe Palmer's, The Way of Holiness a few weeks ago, I have been struggling to find a good devotional book. I thought I had one, but the quality and focus was not what I needed.

Well, I decided yesterday to go (back) through The Divine Conspiracy in the mornings. The decision was made after I ran across the most amazing quote I've ever read! It must be put in the proper context, but it certainly can stand on its own too! He was discussing some specific disciplines in his curriculum for Christlikeness: solitude and silence. These disciplines are so needed in our overly connected and loud voices society.

Here is the quote:
"One of the greatest of spiritual attainments is the capacity to do nothing. ... Muddy water becomes clear if you only let it be still for a while."
The image of muddy water impacted me so much that I ran outside to get some dirt. I threw it in a clear cup and mixed in water. It got some really muddy water going! It is sitting on a shelf in my office getting clearer and clearer. What an awesome reminder for me!

No comments: