Sunday, September 23, 2007

Silence

I went to a Randy Harris class during the ACU lectures this year. It was entitled, "I'm not really all that humble." It was an intriguing class. He basically offered his comments on two old guys' thoughts on the subject. Jeremy Taylor and St. Benedict. Actually, those were the only two days I was in the class. On the third day he discussed how Jesus addressed the topic, but I wasn't in the class.

In Randy's discussion on humility during the second day he made a comment about silence. His phrase about practicing silence is, "Only speak what love requires." I think that is pretty cool advice. So, in some situations, I would need to speak because that is the loving thing to do. In other situations, I would need to refrain for the sake of love. These are some words that I am trying to put into practice recently.

No comments: