Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Storm

This morning we have a 30 percent chance of rain for Huntsville. There is something about the rain that I love. It is calming. It is refreshing. It reminds me of God's word going out to accomplish what He desires and achieve the purpose for which he sent it (Isa 55:9-11). That is exactly what happened this morning.

One of our daily readings was from Mark 4. Before getting into the text, I must say that more than rain has been around me. It is a storm! A storm of doubt, confusion, concern, questions, animosity, reflection, love, fear, wisdom, patience, jealousy, and much more surrounds me! You want to talk about emotions all over the place...the thunder is deafening! The storm clouds thicken all around me. And it came on so quickly. How did I find myself in such a place? I hardly have space enough to stay in the boat. Should I bail now? Where can I go? The waves are nearly swamping the boat.

So when I read this morning Mark 4:37, I understand. "A furious squall line came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped." I understand how the disciples could say something like, "Teacher, don't you care if we drown?" a verse later. I understand. I understand their doubt. I understand their fear. I understand their lack of faith. I'm there too!

But, Jesus doesn't stay there! Praise God! He is responsive. He is the one who acts. He is the one who has faith. He is what I need right now. It is Jesus. It is my, Lord! He stands up, rebukes the wind, and says to the waves, "Quiet! Be still!"

Quiet. Be still.

It is so simple. It is not complicated. Those are the words that I need spoken to my storm! Quiet! Be still!

Lord, stand and speak. Don't let this storm overtake me. Increase my faith that you will calm the storm. Squall lines don't last long, but your words do. Please come and speak. Amen!

No comments: