Sunday, February 25, 2007

Incarnational Ministry

Paul's admonition to the Corinthians challenges me in my ministry with college students: "Imitate me as I imitate Christ." (11:1)

Sitting in my office last Wednesday, it occurred to me that I spend WAY too little time with students outside of the Student Center. It is embarrassing that I don't know where many of our students live. It is not good that if I were to enter a student's apartment, dorm, or house that they would think, "Okay, what is he doing here?"

If I am to take the incarnation of Jesus seriously, I need to follow his example. Jesus came to us. Therefore, in imitating Jesus, I go to students. Why do we get in our mind that students need to come to the Student Center to change their lives? While that will certainly happen by the power of God, students really need Jesus (in us) to come to them.

I will slowly begin going to our students' instead of the other way around. How are you doing the same with others?

No comments: