Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Taking Jesus Seriously

Are you serious!!??

This is the response that I get from many students when I ask them to leave with me at 4am to go get supplies for Loaves and Fishes, a Angel Food Ministries program that relies heavily on volunteers. It is great food at a cheap price. Tons of people take advantage of this and our church is a host site for it. People who would never come to a church come through to get their order of food. When students ask me this question I simply reply...yes.

I am sure I would have asked this of Jesus if I walked with him here on earth, especially looking at the radical nature of his message. "Hey, my family is really those who do God's will." Are you serious? "Be perfect as your heavenly father is perfect." Are you serious? "The child isn't dead; she is only sleeping." What? "Listen, your sins are forgiven." "You feed them." "Anyone who wants to be my disciple must take up this business of dying." "All of you will desert me." "I am, and you will see me, the Son of Man, sitting at God's right hand in the place of power and coming back on the clouds of heaven." "You will be my witnesses throughout the world." Are you serious, Jesus?

His response?

"Yes."

Are you taking him seriously today?

No comments: