Friday, January 11, 2008

My Plate

So...it took me eleven days to write anything in 2008. I have enjoyed the break from the normal routine. I got to enjoy platefuls of food with family and friends. This year I didn't eat as much as I have in the past! Even during Thanksgiving I think I only got one full plate and then snacked a little later on. Christmas was the same. This year was not the year where I couldn't fit something else on my plate if I tried.

I wish I actually had some sort of schedule plate to put things on so I would know that I cannot do anything else.

On Wednesday night I realized how much is going on right now, how much I have on my plate. I am training an LST team (maybe two at the same time); teaching Wednesday night class, Thursday devo, and Sunday class; creating the curriculum for our small groups each week; developing and meeting with a leadership team of students; leading a women's weekly small discipleship group; spending time being available for prayer on campus; leading a church small group discussion starting in February; preaching at least once a month; going through premarital counseling with one of our students; going through marital counseling with a couple at church; maintaining the church website and the campus ministry website; staying on top of two service assignments each month; raising funds for our LST trip this summer; spending better time with Tanya, Kayla, and Tyler; and trying to fit in hanging out with students when the opportunity comes.

I'm not sure if there is any more room on my plate...even for any garnish. I'm not sure what to do about all this just yet. I wait to see how things go.

Lord, help me to stay focused. Give me your energy. I cannot do this alone. May your presence sustain me.

1 comment:

Brian H. said...

Hi Chris,

I just said a prayer for you and your schedule. Everything you're doing is commendable and needs to be done. I sometimes have the same problem. I've been told to delegate but there are times when there isn't anyone to whom I can delegate. I see two or three areas where you may be able to lessen your work load. But I'm here in cyberspace and who am I to talk?

Churches oftentimes have a way of overworking their ministers. I guess that's one of the reasons the ranks of those in ministry is shrinking each year. There's a book you'll need to read when it comes out later this year called "Mad Church Disease." It deals with burn out.

Talk to you later,
Brian