Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Why do students do that?

I don't want to judge too quickly because I myself am a sinner! But I logged into facebook this morning to find that two students were tagged in photos doing something I bet they are not excited that I saw. The title to the album was "Some Drunk Times/White Trash Bash." Actually, I have no idea what they were doing. The contraption is not something I have seen before.
I feel compelled to let them know that I saw the pictures, but what do I do from there? This seems like one of those moments where I need to hold out the truth of the gospel. They died to sin in their baptism; how can they live in it any longer? Let us put off our old self which is being corrupted in its deceitful desires and put on our new self which is created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
It would be easy to condemn, but the gospel puts me in the same condemned state as a sinner myself. When I hold out the word of life, we all have the chance to repent and turn to God.
I caution myself when I say these things because this behavior (if done consistently) is not proper for God's people. Reading 1 Corinthians 5, the community is corrupted by such ways of living. The call in this case is to cast this one out. Exactly what that looks like will be a learning process for me, but I know that healing should be the final outcome sought. I know reconciliation can happen.
[Note: I know that this is just one picture taken at one moment in time and should not necessarily be taken as an example of his behavior over a long period of time.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too minister to students and have, in similar incidents, come across websites with photos of my students doing things they would be embarrassed of if they knew I saw it. How did you approach your students about this? I feel compelled as well. Not because I am without sin myself, but because I have travelled those roads and want to caution them and remind us that our bodies are temples.
The item in this photo is a type of "bong" ususally used for the smoking of illegal drugs ie marijuana.. however this is also used for a traditinal (special) tobacco smoking in some ceremonial traditions.

Unknown said...

I have yet to bring it up. What I am doing is playing racquetball with him every Monday afternoon. I did play with him yesterday, but another guy was there. Our relationship needs some deepening. When God moves my heart to tell me the right time, I will bring it up. It will probably be sometime after we play racquetball, but it could be some other time.