Thursday, April 20, 2006

Nice Teeth Dude

My tooth is killing me. Last night I woke up at 4:30 or so because our dog, Chica, was wanting outside. I could hardly go back to sleep because of the pain in the back of my mouth around one of my molars. Even now it hurts as I swallow. The pain when I swallow is like the pain of swallowing when I have a sore throat. I don't understand that. All I know is that it hurts...bad.

Teeth have never been something that I take care of. I don't floss. I am doing good if I remember to brush my teeth before going to bed. But that is getting easier because Tanya brushes her teeth for about 45 minutes before she goes to bed, so I have plenty of time to be reminded. Sometimes, though, I am just too tired to put out the effort of brushing my teeth, so I don't (it will wait until the morning).

In the back of my head, I know that I should take care of my teeth if I want to keep them. But, in the moment, it seems like something I can put off. Now I am experiencing the pain of that choice. It seemed like such a small choice over a long period of time, but now it seems like a small choice that I should have chosen to do. I wish I could have been smarter.

All is not lost, however. I can use this as a way to encourage the small choices that I make in my spiritual discipline. It is a small choice to spend 5 minutes in serious prayer. Over a long period of time a real relationship begins to form with my Lord, and in a true moment of need a prayer can be answered quickly.

It is a small choice to give a complement, but this small choice changes the whole environment of the group with which you identify. The group feels more encourages and god-like. How much energy is spent on giving a complement?

It is a small choice to read 5 chapters in the Bible every day. As you do this, it increases your understanding of God's will in your life and decisions that you make become somewhat more effortless. The word of God "is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness."

It is a small choice to listen to your spouse or someone else in need. But, as you do this, you begin to nourish a relationship that God can use for His glory. The focus then turns toward God rather than your own selfishness.

So many little choices that prevent bad tooth problems. Let's brush our teeth today...multiple times.

No comments: