Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Word of Cross

I preached last Sunday about the word of the cross. As I was preparing for this message, I realized that I had never preached in 1 Corinthians! It was a bit surprising, but not completely. My canon within the canon would include the book of 1 Corinthians. So, because I am aware of this, I tend to steer away from it.

Struggling to find a good method for preaching this sermon, I settled on Paul Scott Wilson's Four Pages methodology. This is the first time I'd tried it. It could be better, but it went okay I think. The basic elements of the sermon are Page 1: Trouble in the text, Page 2: Trouble in the world, Page 3: Grace in the text, and Page 4: Grace in the world.

The goal of the sermon is to help us consider and begin understanding the metaphor of the cross of Corinth for our lives...a huge, necessary, but possible task.

No comments: