Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Birth Certificate

Yesterday I went to the Courthouse to get Tyler's birth certificate. We finally needed it to get his Passport. I can't believe that it cost $22 to get a certified copy of his birth certificate! What if I didn't have the money to buy a loaf of bread? But, if I needed to show someone that my son was actually born like I said he was, I would have to pay $22! This is crazy.

I don't know what to think about this, but certainly there is something about "the system" that can be said. The lady there pulled out a sheet of paper (pretty spiffy little piece of paper, I must admit), put it in the copy machine, copied it, crimped it, and collected my money for that considerable amount of time that she put into making this copy for me.

Is justice a part of the discussion? Does justice demand that we spend all this money on making a copy? If the poor cannot afford to prove they were born, is justice maintained? I'm not sure, but surely something can be said here.

[BTW-I'm normally not so political or government-system-interested, but $22 just bothered me a little bit. Oh well. The complexity of being me.]

1 comment:

David Heflin said...

Politically or otherwise, I think your question is a moral one. Institutions should think about how their policies affect the poor. Often not much is thought about except how much can the gov. charge the citizen and get away with it. It should not cost $22.00 to get a birth certificate, and because it is a real need for proof of ID, you can say that it does indeed discriminate against the poor.